As Hollywood continues to snag rights for popular releases in the Young Adult genre, more and more books are being adapted into TV shows and movies. Our favorite YA books are being reimagined for our screens. In case you can’t keep up, here’s a list of the books that studios have announced are in development or close to release.
1. P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
The adaptation of the first book in this contemporary romance trilogy by Jenny Han, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, was released last year, and Netflix is producing movies for the following two installments: P.S. I Still Love You and Always and Forever, Lara Jean. P.S. I Still Love You is set for release on February 12, and Always and Forever, Lara Jean is already in production.
2. Shadow and Boneby Leigh Bardugo
Netflix announced in January that it would be turning Leigh Bardugo’s series The Grisha Trilogy into a TV show. The show’s plot is said to intertwine with another series of Bardugo’s that’s set in the same fictional universe, Six of Crows, in a total of eight episodes.
3. Children of Blood and Boneby Tomi Adeyemi
As reported on Deadline, Disney owns the rights to Tomi Adeyemi’s #1 New York Times best-selling book and its subsidiary Lucasfilm is working on a script.
4. A Very Large Expanse of Seaby Tahereh Mafi
In March, Levantine Films announced that it is developing this contemporary fiction book by Tahereh Mafi into a film. No further information has been released since.
5. There’s Someone Inside Your Houseby Stephanie Perkins
This best-selling thriller is being developed into a Netflix movie. The casting is already set and production is underway, though a release date has not been announced yet.
6. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
As reported on Deadline, Constantin Film has claimed the rights to this best-selling book by Sarah J. Maas. News concerning the cast and director of the film adaption has not yet been released, but fans are eagerly awaiting updates.
Studios acquired the rights to the following books, have scripts or scripts in development and some have directors attached. However, there is no recent news, raising questions about if or when further development will be pursued.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- Shatter Me by Tahere Mafi (TV Series)
- The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jenifer E. Smith
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (TV Series)
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer
- Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- Red Rising by Pierce Brown
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- What if it’s Us? by Beckie Albertalli and Adam Silvera
- Legend by Marie Lu
Copyright Evelyn Sharma 2019